09 April 2006

Antonio's baked polenta with white bean puree & rapini~

Some good news this week: after months of waiting, I finally got a letter stating that I was accepted into the one year Bachelor of Education program at the University of Toronto! So back to full time school next September, and back to living on one salary...

Last night on Antonio's suggestion, we made these tasty bites which we enjoyed with some Moretti beer. You can make the polenta rounds (or better: squares) yourself, but we found a pre- made roll at the supermarket. I sliced them into 1/4 inch slices and baked them at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. In the meantime we sauteed the rapini in olive oil, garlic and a few dried chilies, and made the white beans by pureeing a drained and rinsed 15 oz can with about 1/2 a cup of hot broth (we used mushroom), salt and pepper, and thickening it for a few minutes in pan over medium heat with some olive oil and sauteed garlic. To finish, we drizzled some olive oil over top (we Italians don't know when to stop) and voila!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ciao Kristina!

You know, when people ask me what my favourite part of blogging is, my answer is always that I get to meet such wonderful people. And I now count you among them!

First of all, thank you so much for introducing yourself and for visiting Cream Puffs in Venice!

I'm so glad you did because now I've had the chance to read your blog and see that I have discovered a kindred spirit.

Secondly, I'm happy to see someone else blogging from Toronto. We have such a great food scene.

You sound like a very talented, intelligent young woman! And congratulations on your acceptance to teacher's college. I am a graduate of the University of Toronto (June 1996 ... eek ... 10 years ago!) so it holds a very special place in my heart. I'm sure you will do wonderfully.

As I work very close to the U of T campus, I get to walk through all the time which is a huge pleasure.

I read from your profile that you spent time in Italy and in fact, married a native Italian. How lovely! I hope you and your husband can realize your dream of moving back to Italy to teach.

And finally, the polenta ... deliziosa! What a wonderful idea for a simple yet satisfying bite.

Please do try the tapenade. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the sweet/salty combination.

You have been added to my link list. I look forward to many wonderful posts from you in future ... here's to the beginning of a great blog friendship!

Cin Cin!

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home