27 April 2006

Breakfast Sins...


I took a day off work today to study for my last exam of my last course (Intermediate Italian Language) to finally finish off an Honours Bachelor of Arts degree at the University of Toronto--about time! I started off at the Uni of Waterloo at the faculty of Environmental Studies, but transferred back to Toronto after an isolating year. I found Waterloo to be a nice enough town, but there wasn't much to do for someone with little affinity for pub crawls. My second and third years I finished pretty much full- time, then I began to work and study part time in the evenings.


Regarding the breakfasts, I don't know why but hearty sweets are so reassuring in the morning, serving to tempt you out of bed and onto a new day of effort. I always make sure to have a fruit in the morning (maybe to compensate) and another necessary feature has now become Kimbo espresso--usually a pot full! My favourite yogurt is Liberty plain organic, which is 2.5%, much, much more delightful than fat- free yogurt. This morning I was brought a bag full of goodies by my personal pastry delivery man (from an undisclosed source), and even though I swore I would eat only 1, the chocolate croissant disappeared in its entirety as well, as if by magic. "In the Sweet Kitchen" by Regan Daley made captivating reading...

After my exam is over with and I am facing a summer without evening responsibilities, I plan to finish my wedding album (yeah, almost 2 years later) and learn more about the various technical mumbo jumbo that may help me to improve the look of my blog. This may take me a long time...

For the Torontonians out there, enjoy the sun!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ciao Kristina,

It sounds like you had a lovely day ... and my most heartfelt auguri on finishing your final course

I'm a U of T alum so I send even more congratulations!

You're a woman after my own heart since I too enjoy a sweet in the morning. When we went to Italy in 2000 for my cousin's wedding, my uncle would get up every morning and go to the local bakery and bring home freshly made pastries. EVERY MORNING!

And I also love love love Liberty Organic (2.5%).

Hope your exam went really well!

11:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully your exam went well! Looking forward to seeing some of the technical mumbo jumbo in practice ;)

4:19 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

The feeling of being finished.. isn't it wonderful? So much has gone in to your accomplishment. Enjoy the freedom and your breakfast pastries.

Tanti auguri Kristina!

3:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog through Sam's lovely Sweet Pleasure. I hope your exams went well, and I'm looking forward to reading about all the delicious blogging you'll be doing now that you're free!

11:34 PM  
Blogger Kristina said...

Thanks so much for your kind wishes, fellow food bloggers! My exam went quite well (imagine the professor who includes questions, word for word, from past exams!)and I am spending my first night sans guilt about procrastinating...

Ivonne- when we were in Italy last year, Antonio's dad did the same thing, bringing cornetti home some mornings. Another great breakfast item was Sicilian- made marmalade!

Linda-- Thanks! I'll need quite some time to figure out this computer stuff...

Mary--Good to hear from you. Yes it does feel good to finally be out from under the BA!

Tania--Thanks for visiting, I've checked out your blog which is lovely! Great to meet another Torontonian- foodie...

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home