11 May 2006

Luscious Banana Bread Breakfast~

Confronted with the situation of too many ripe bananas due to the fact that A. hadn't peeked at the fruit bowl before visiting the grocery store, I scanned my favourite Moosewood Desserts cookbook. Having settled in to make muffins, a new package of paper muffin tin liners already on the counter, A. complained "I thought you were going to make banana bread!" Ever the eager- to- please wife (except when it comes to anything soccer related), I relented and decided to use my large loaf pan (9 x 5) for the recipe. It turned out deliciously moist and flavourful--little pockets of not quite mashed banana here and there providing great texture. I adapted the recipe by adding unsweetened apple sauce to make up the remainder of the 3 cups of mashed banana called for, by using white sugar with a spoonful of blackstrap molasses in place of the brown sugar (mine is too hard!), by reducing the oven temperature and increasing the baking time (since it was originally for muffins) and by reducing the sugar overall. Probably as far from an Italian recipe one can get, this loaf nevertheless makes an enchanting breakfast as is, and an addictive snack spread with butter or apple butter.... Enjoy!

Recipe:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2- 3/4 cup brown sugar (or 1/2 cup white sugar + 1 tbsp molasses)
2 eggs
4 bananas, mashed (or combination of banana and applesauce to make about 3 cups)
2 cups unbleached flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

1. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees and butter a loaf pan (9 x 5 inches)
2. In a large bowl mix the oil, sugar, eggs and banana mixture until well combined
3. Sift the dry ingredients together into a small bowl and fold them into the wet mix carefully, until just combined, folding in the vanilla near the end
4. Scoop the batter into the tin and bake for about 50 minutes, until a tester inserted comes out clean
5. Cool on a rack in the pan for about 10 minutes before unmoulding, and wrap well in a cotton towel once completely cool
6. Feed to loved ones or take heart in it yourself!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ciao Kristina,

One can never have too many banana bread recipes. Now I have another one to try thanks to you!

I love banana bread and I love the idea of using apple sauce in the bread. Nice touch!

As for the soccer ... how are you feeling about the World Cup being less than a month away?

10:08 PM  
Blogger Jaime said...

Will try it and tell about my results!

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a coincidence...I did a post about banana bread too on May 11! Yours looks yummy!

3:18 AM  
Blogger Kristina said...

Ivonne- It's a good standard recipe, very much a keeper. As for soccer, the world cup will be the bane of my exsistance for an entire month, suffice it to say, I will be bringing an entire suitcase filled with library books! My in-laws have many lovely balconies overlooking the farmland and mountains, so it shouldn't prove too taxing to exit the family room and relax with a good novel. Any suggestions anyone?
Jaime- This is your kind of recipe: simple, wholesome and delicious!
Linda- That's pretty funny! I guess sweet tooths think alike! On my way over to check out your recipe...

11:32 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Hi Kristina,

Banana bread for breakfast is always good. Looks yummy Kristina. I've added you to my blogroll.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Kristina said...

Thanks Sam! As you can see, my sweet tooth for breakfast runs throughout my blog....
Thanks for the link!

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home